Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Why Read Non-required Reading?

After reading the first part of The Best American Non-required Reading, the first question I asked myself was, why? What's the point of reading all of these random pieces of literature? Is it even literature? It wasn't until after I was completely finished reading it that I realized how much I had learned. It's amazing how much we don't know about our own culture. It made me realize that I've never stopped and realized just how absurd things have gotten. All of the little tid-bits in Part I were hilarious to read, simply because they were so strange. It threw me for a loop, therefore, when I realized that the things that they were talking about were present in my everyday life. The book is poking fun at our culture, the things that we experience everyday. We just don't see them until they are condensed into 27 pages of a book. In this way, I believe that it is literature, and it is definitely worth reading. It's informative, educational, entertaining, and it tells a great story.

1 comment:

Makanda said...

I wondered why too, and while I was reading all of those random lists in part one I was still wondering a little. When I went back and read them again, I started to understand why it was nonrequired and why people would read it. Some of it was hilarious, and other parts were just interesting, but I appreciated it all. My favorite was the summing up life in six words, the personal ads, and the best first sentences. All three of those sections were very enjoyable to me.